Children need a lot of confidence; this is a very important tool that will help them grow into adults that can face life.
Affirmations are a great way to build confidence in children.
What are affirmations?
Affirmation is the practice of positive thinking and self-empowerment. They can come from others or from self. For example, a parent telling a child , “ I know you got this!” is a form of affirmation that has come from others., “ I have done this before, I can do this again!!” is an example of self affirmation.
Affirmations are very important to build a child’s self confidence and help them grow!
How do Affirmations Work?
We are often in the habit of saying things like ,” This is too tough!!” or “ I will never be able to do this!!”. Research indicates that when we think like this our mood and our over all outlook becomes negative too.Replacing these negative thoughts with more positive statements tend to make us look at ourselves in a more positive light.
How to use Positive self affirmations for children?
- When kids show frustrations, instead of saying stop being frustrated, you can talk about why they are feeling this way and help them with more positive responses to a situation.
- Kids self worth can be linked how they do in school or in projects. Set slightly challenging projects for them and helping them complete it
- Kids can choose a few positive self affirmation statements and make a habit of saying these
Self-Affirmations for Kids:
- I can do Hard Things :The ability to do hard things and overcome obstacles is one of the best ways for kids to build self confidence. Give them a project in a subject of their choice and gently nudge and help them finish it. Keep raising the bar
- Mistakes help me learn: When kids make a mistake, you can tell them that it’s a bad thing only if they don’t learn from it. You can keep a small journal where you ask your kid to write down what he learnt from a mistake and what steps she can tale to prevent it from happening in the future.
- I was born to Learn :Learning new things helps kids build their confidence. Spend time reading, doing projects or listening to podcasts to help kids learn new things
- I am brave : Children often think that being brave means not to be scared. You can be brave only when you are scared,
- I am Creative: Creating builds a lot of confidence. It can be anything art, writing, music, computer program. But help them spend time creating things, this helps a lot in building confidence
These are just 5 self affirmations that we have give as examples. But you can create your own set along with your child and work towards making the kid more confident.