Egypt country facts for kids with flashcards


Egypt has one of the most ancient civilizations in the world. Egypt, a country linking northeast Africa with the Middle East, dates to the time of the pharaohs.


Official name:  The Arab Republic of Egypt

Capital: Cairo

Official Language: Arabic

Currency: Egyptian pound

Continent: Asia, Africa

Population: 102 million

Major rivers: Nile

Major Cities: Aswan, Luxor, Alexandria

Major Mountains: Jabal al Rumayl, Jab Umm Showmar

National Sport: Football

National Bird: The Steppe Eagle

National Flower: Lotus

National Tree: Doum Palm



Egypt has three different geographic features: The Delta, the Desert, and the Fertile Land. These are the Sinai Peninsula, the Western Desert, the Eastern Desert, and the Nile Valley. Bounded on the south, east, and west by an impenetrable desert, and on the north by the sea, ancient Egypt was protected from outside influences. Egypt has coastlines on the Mediterranean Sea. Egypt borders Libya to the west, the Gaza Strip to the northeast, Israel to the east, and Sudan to the south.

Egypt's climate is dry, hot, and dominated by desert. It has a mild winter season with rain falling along coastal areas and a dry and hot summer season from May to September. Daytime temperatures vary by season and change with the prevailing winds.


The population of Egypt is relatively homogeneous. The overwhelming majority of 90 percent are Arabic-speaking Sunni Muslims. 90% of Egyptians identify themselves as ethnic Egyptians. The remaining 10% are minorities such as Berbers, Bedouins, Nubians, Turks, and Greeks

Egyptians are people of personal charm. Sensitivity and kindness still dominate in the country. The people of Egypt care very much about the welfare of their loved ones - they are helpful, hospitable, and friendly. Egyptians love garlic. They eat a lot of green vegetables, lentils, figs, dates, onions, fish, birds, eggs, cheese, and butter.


Egypt has no forests but does have date palm and citrus groves. Some of the native plants are Cyperus papyrus, Eichhornia crassipes, Pistia stratiotes, Ludwigia tolonifera, Lemna gibba. The popular flowers found in Egypt are Rosa richardii, Egyptian lotus, Immortelle, Lychnis, Jasmine, and Narcissus bulbs

 Sheep, goats, and donkeys are found throughout the country, and camels are found in all the deserts. Horses, Camels, Buffalos, and Donkeys are the most prevalent animals to be found here. As for desert wildlife the Gazelles, Nubian Ibex, Jackals, Jerboas, and desert Foxes are indigenous to the country.


The Arab Republic of Egypt consists of red, white, and black horizontal stripes. Red represents the sacrifices and blood of Egyptian martyrs, white symbolizes peace, and black stands for the dark period of occupation. The Egyptian eagle of Saladin is centered in the white band that represents strength and power.



The most popular game in Egypt is Football. Egyptians gather around to watch various Clubs and the Egyptian national football team play daily basis. Handball, squash, and tennis are other sports that are played in Egypt. Egypt won the African Handball Nationals Championship five times. The Egypt national football team is known colloquially as "the Pharaohs".


Great Sphinx of Giza: The Great Sphinx at Giza, near Cairo, is probably the most famous sculpture in the world. It is s a mythical creature, with a lion's body and a human head adorned with a royal headdress. The face of the Sphinx appears to represent the pharaoh, Khafre.

The Great pyramids of Gaza: The Great Pyramid of Giza is the largest Egyptian pyramid and the tomb of Fourth Dynasty pharaoh Khufu. Built in the early 26th century BC, for a period of around 27 years.  It is 147 meters tall. It is made up of limestone, basalt, granite, and mortar.

The Egyptian museum: The Museum of Egyptian Antiquities in Cairo, Egypt, is home to an extensive collection of ancient Egyptian antiquities. It has 120,000 artifacts including the contents of Tutankhamun’s tomb.

If your kids are a geography and general knowledge buff, we have the absoulte right product for you .The Creative Brain World Countries and Flags Flashcards. These Flashcards are suitable for kids 5 years and above. Kids can learn County, capitals, flags, maps, landmarks and currencies from the flashcards.


Saffura is a mother of three. She is a yoga instructor and has spent a lot of time teaching yoga for children. She narrates numerous stories to inculcate moral values in children, as she is certain that yoga is for the body and soul. As a mother and yoga instructor,  She enjoys new tasks and likes multitasking. She truly believes that will mould her into a strong writer. As a writer she does a lot of research and pays keen attention to details.



Previous article
Next article